Friday, January 28, 2011

My most humbling experience to date

Since the time I arrived here I have been wanting to experience the culture in a very real and honest way. The Pow Wow was great but being in an arena took something away from it; making it more of a performance than a ritual.

Every so often we get to experience something that we will remember our entire lives.  I recently got to have one of those amazing experiences.

Richard and I were invited to a traditional ceremony at the home of the Deputy Chief. Obviously since it was a Sacred Ceremony I can't go into any details except to say it was extremely powerful, somewhat unnerving and definitely educational.  I am in total awe and extremely honoured.

This photo conjures up the feeling of tradition which is why I've added it but it has nothing to do with the ceremony itself. I obviously didn't take pictures.

1 comment: