Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bannock

I'm disappointed to say that I haven't seen or heard of many traditional dishes up here with the exception of Bannock.  Bannock is a favorite among native people it seems.  It's a type of bread that can be baked or fried.  When baked it has the texture and a similar taste to tea biscuits...but heavier.  Fried it is more like a heavy donut; tasty especially with some cinnamon sugar on top.

After tasting it a while back, I thought it would be fun to try make it myself.  I did the baked version earlier but this is the fried one.  It's not something I'll make often since it is not exactly low-cal but it's fun to do every so often.  Tobie's wife was kind enough to give me the recipe and a few tips along the way.  If you'd like to make it yourself I've posted the recipe on my "Recipe" page to the right.

1 comment:

  1. Have you been to a community feast yet, Cheryl? There's wild rice... and OMG the whitefish is my absolute favourite. Have you had moosemeat? When I think of Cross and recipes, I think of cooking moosemeat and bannock over a fire and drinking tea, and have fresh berries with that bannock... and white beans. Yum. And there's pickerel of course, but whitefish... it's the best.

    Have you tried sturgeon the way they serve it here?

    ReplyDelete