Friday, January 14, 2011

Chinese Food, Horoscopes, and Prophecies

From that title you might be thinking "Chinese New Year?" Nope just a little get together in Cross Lake.


This past Saturday I hosted a little dinner at my place.  I wanted to have my new friend Roseann, her "fella" Lorne, and her son Curtis over for the first time.  I had heard that Chinese food was Lorne's favorite and since there are no Chinese restaurants here yet (rumour has it that one is coming) I thought I would sweeten the invite by offering to make Chinese food.





It worked! They came over along with Richard and Andrea and we had a wonderful evening.  I do not recommend Chinese food for a get together though, unless it's take out! Very, labour intensive and all at the last minute.  You can see from the picture here that I was a tad warm.

Richard made a really delicious cake which he has posted on his blog, and Roseann made some fabulous steamed buns stuffed with a meat mixture.  I think we all packed on a few extra pounds that night...maybe my next dinner should be "salad night".

I'm sure you've been wondering why those silly trapper hats are so popular...maybe even speculated that it's because of the cold climate...don't be silly; where else would you keep your chopsticks!

Lorne is a wealth of Native culture and an all-around interesting guy and he provided us with an interesting Native Prophecy which was written in 1929 (I think) and was spooky in its accuracy. It was quite long and most of us would have stumbled terribly reading it aloud but fortunately we had amongst us an extremely gifted reader...a tad camera shy as you can see from the picture. She also entertained us with our 2011 year long Horoscope; all I can say is Hurray, finely a good year for me. 


I think I can safely say that we all had a great evening based on the laughter that went on at the very least.

4 comments:

  1. It was an absolutely WONDERFUL evening! The food was fabulous, the company interesting, and the wine... well, copious (and tasty!) :D

    I haven't laughed that much for a long time. If I haven't said thank you yet, please accept my thanks now! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup it was a yummy dinner party, great company however I now know my Horrorscope was dead wrong. My Zodiac sign is now Gemini and Mercury is now my favorite planet. Isn't that great?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you Cheryl would be wearing a tank top!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, we are so going to miss you in Cross Lake. It's always so nice to see you, being the bubbly & happy person that you are...and your amazing cooking :) Your friend,Roseann

    ReplyDelete