Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Crossing

Cross Lake is aptly named since it surrounds much of the town in a "cross" formation. As you can imagine it can be a long drive to get from one part of town to another.  Like many other Northern communities the residents look forward to the time that the winter roads open up. They call them winter roads because there's no way you could use them any other time of year...mainly because you'd be under water.



I'm quite a chicken when it comes to ice; a complete nervous wreck walking on ice that's two feet thick so I can't even begin to imagine driving on it.  It seems to me that the lake had just frozen over and a week later people were driving on it. CRAZY!





I actually had my camera out because I liked the late afternoon sun on the buildings at the ramp where the cars head out onto the lake but  I figured you might get a kick out of the cars driving across.

2 comments:

  1. it IS quite amazing. cars driving on ice. further up north they say they actually drive the great big trucks on the ice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would love the puddle jumping contests in Port Perry, in Southern Ontario. Basically, you reve up your snowmobile and attempt to jump the open portions of the Lake. Needless to say, you can walk across Lake Scugog winter and summer, due to the amount of snowmobiles on the bottom of the Lake!
    I think Cross Lake might be a bit colder!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete