Sunday, May 1, 2011

Trade Shows Fort Smith Style

Yesterday the town of Fort Smith held it's annual Trade Show.  Unlike the Career Fair in Cross Lake, this one started on time and was very well attended.  The sense of community here is amazing! Of course being a new person in a town of 2500 people it's hard to go un-noticed; still the people were so friendly and interested in what I had to say.  I do think I was probaly the best candidate at the store for this little PR event.  I actually lucked into it.  The store manager here double booked the tradeshow and the food inventory so he asked me to do the trade show.  I think I got the better end of that deal. What a pleasant change.



There were actually quite a few booths, from government and museums to outdoor adventures and arts & crafts.  This cute little card holder was made by one of my neighbours who had a booth just across from me. 


We even had entertainment.



With all the talking I did I had a sore throat and was loosing my voice by noon.  The trooper I am...I'm all better by today.  So although this wasn't like the big trade shows I'm used to from my past life, it was still an enjoyable day.

There was one booth there for the NWT Cree Language where I was given a nice little cook book. I thought you might enjoy this nice recipe for "Frog Eyes"...  (sorry I couldn't add in all the accents)

Mayokowatay miskisik

peyak minihkwacikan tohtosapopimehkan
peyak minihkwacikan kaskatiwasawaosihtsiwinikan
apihtaw minihkwacikan siwinikan
niso wawa
niso emihkwanis kiyikawenikan sewipahkwesikanihk
niso 1/4 minihkwacikan askipahkwesikan
peyak emihkwanis kapestewpayik
peyak emihkwanis siwihtakan
peyak mina apihtaw (smarties maskihis)

Cream tohtosapopime mina siwinikan mamawi. Iteha wawa. Iteha kiyikawenikan sweipahkwesikanihk. Asta askipahkwesikan, ke pestewpayik, siwihtakan mina apihtaw ohci maskihis. Itcha kwayes. Kitiskina peyakwawa ka sakaskiner emihkwanis eta kiya itominitit pahkwesikan nawacewinapisk. Ka makwahamihk kahkiyaw ohci miskisikak tahkohc eta sewipahkwesikanisak. Kakisiswaw nanto 350 degrees ohci ayinanew ahpo mitataht cipahikanis.

Now that I've impressed you with my Cree you can go to my recipe page for the english translation...okay I cheated with the Cree.


If you like these or are feeling more adventurous you can email me for the recipe for beaver tail or for Caribou Ribs (also good for moose I've heard).

2 comments:

  1. I think you got the better end of the deal, too!

    *goes off to find your number so I can call*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I already have a recipe for Beaver Tails and | think I will like mine better! Just saying.
    I bet you had fun at the trade show!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete