Thursday, April 28, 2011

Go West (young man)

As the new kid on the block it seems that I automatically draw the short straw and as a result I completely missed out on the Easter long weekend.  It was great to finally have a day off.



I had a little surprise treat today.  One of my regular customers was heading to Hay River for the day and offered to bring me along so I could check out a little more of the scenery of the Northwest Territories.  After a 3 hour drive we arrived in the booming metropolus of Hay River...don't blink or you'll miss it.  This was a potential location that I could have been posted at.  I'm happy that I got Fort Smith!



Hay River is located on, you guessed it, Hay River right where it meets Great Slave Lake.  The flat white surface behind the play structure is the lake...as the 2nd largest lake in Canada it's not surprising that you can't see the other side.


Hay River also boasts a commercial fishing outlet where they have a fisherman's warf in the summer. Clearly it's not the season as you can see from the boats in dry dock.




As I've mentioned before, I love the look of old warn out things (you'd think I would love mirrors!!!). Check out these old bones I came across in my travels.


 
A good portion of the trip goes through Wood Buffalo National Park, home of a huge herd of Buffalo.  These are the warning signs along the way. Unfortunately we didn't see any herds of buffalo.


...only 2 at the side of the road.  They are HUGE!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha@ the mirror comment. Not hardly, my friend! Silly!

    Those buffalo are BIG!!! Is there a fence between you and them?

    :)

    ReplyDelete