Thursday, April 7, 2011

Welcome to Fort Smith...Or not!

By the time I post this blog it will be old news, but I figured I post my thoughts in order anyway so you can get a feel for what moving here is like.



Boarding the Northwestern airline in Edmonton, for my flight to Fort Smith, I had a huge case of butterflies which were compounded when I stepped onto the plane.  It was a nice little plane; a bit bigger than the Perimeter one, but still it drives home that fact that you are headed to some very isolated location. Then as we descended into Fort Smith I was optimistic and even more so when I saw the airport. The town looked pretty from the air and the airport was new clean and had local artwork displayed which we all know I like. The people getting off the plane looked friendly enough…then there was my reception party as seen below.  In fairness they were only a few minutes late, but the door was locked and they couldn’t get in.

I knew Cindy’s smiling face would be hard to match but this was certainly not what I expected. Note the difference…


The drive into town was interesting to say the least; every positive point I made was met with three negatives.  Clearly the living in the North is not something everyone is thrilled about. The people seem decent enough, but as someone who likes to look at the bright side of things it’s hard when you are faced with constant negativity.

First stop was the store; however I was warned that the staff had no idea I was coming so everything was very hush hush with the exception of a couple introductions. The tour of the town consisted of the things that were pointed out to me as we drove directly to the store then directly to my apartment.  Fortunately I have tomorrow off so I can walk around town myself a bit. By then the staff will have heard about me and will be wondering what they can expect from me.

What I saw of the town, as we whizzed by, was actually quite nice.  Nice buildings other businesses, arenas, a Rec center. Apparently there is a library here though I have no idea where.

This is my new house or actually my apartment or apartment. My windows are the basement ones. Doesn't look too bad from here right...


And then there's the inside...



After entering all I can say is boy do I miss my old apartment.  It may have been noisy at times and had that fun little flood, but at least it was a nice apartment. These ones, as you can see, are not so pleasant. 

Sitting here in these dingy little rooms, after the manager and his wife left, I was filled with trepidation.  Not just towards the accommodations but also for the vibes on what kind of attitude I can expect. I’m hoping that I can work some charm and lighten people up, but I think minds have been made up and cheerfulness will not be accepted willingly.

I’ll close this by saying “WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO?”

No comments:

Post a Comment