Thursday, July 5, 2012

Watson Lake, Yukon

Destination Yukon! I found this section of highway not quite as stunning as the last, but beautiful none the less. Fort Smith area is so flat that even the slightest rise in elevation is cause for celebration, so you can imagine how much I was enjoying the beautiful mountain vistas of Northern BC.


Interestingly enough, you go from BC to the Yukon, twice before you make it to Watson Lake.



Here's a familiar sight; Wood Bison roam up here as well, though we only saw a couple stray ones along the route.  Funny how I've become so accustomed to seeing these massive creatures that it's a deer darting across the highway, that gets me fired up.


Watson Lake, Yukon is a cute enough little village; We had lunch on a patio, which was quite fabulous since it doesn't happen often (probably because of all the "Bull" flies). It's not as enjoyable when you have twenty or so giant horse flies buzzing around you.



There is a great little museum (Northern Lights Centre) which offers a fabulous panoramic video of the Northern Lights. Very cool but sorry, no picture.

This is also the home of "Signpost Forest". That's right...When you are a small town you need some sort of claim to fame to draw tourists.  It's actually pretty amazing when you see the volume of signposts erected outside the visitor centre. I took only a few pictures but there were probably tens of thousands of signs over about a thousand huge signposts.  If you are headed this way, make sure you bring a sign to post while you are here.





Watson Lake Visitor Centre also has the nicest staff I've encountered in my life.  Make sure you stop in and check out the displays and talk to these nice people.

As this will probably be my only visit to the Yukon, I had to get a little sand from the local lake, for my sand collection (that's right, I have a sand collection).  First Wye Lake pictured here.



The Yukon always reminds me of the poems of Robert Service, so having purchased a book of his poems, Charlie was subjected to daily poetry readings, starting with my favorite one, "The Cremation of Sam McGee"




Then it was back to Liard Hot Springs for one more night before heading back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment