Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 3 on the Yukon Highway

The third day on the Yukon Highway should have been a short day as we didn't travel as far as previous days, but the scenery was so beautiful that I had to stop to take pictures frequently. Just heading out from Pink Mountain we started to see the Mountains in the distance.  It always amazes me how they appear as different shades of blue.  So pretty.



Our first real stop was in Fort Nelson, where we had  lunch at the famous Fort Nelson Hotel, then checked out the local museum and hit up the visitor centre.  It was during our visitor centre stop that we decided to end our trip at Watson Lake, Yukon rather than going on to Whitehorse.  A portion of the highway had been washed out in heavy rains and was down to one lane.  I would have been fine going through, but it would have been a little nerve wracking for Charlie.


I was a little excited when we came across this bear.  The brown colour fooled me at first and I thought it was a grizzly, but as you can see its just a "brown" black bear.



I took hundreds of pictures but as always, they never do the scenery justice; this is just before summit lake.


There is a really cute little stop along the Toad River where their claim to fame is a ceiling full of baseball caps from visitors passing through.  Personally I would say there claim to fame should be the delicious baked goods they sell.  Of course the setting is lovely too; how nice it would be to work and live surrounded by majestic mountains with a glacial fed river running nearby.  Such lovely turquoise water.






The next interesting photo op, was folded mountain.  Whenever I see this sort of thing, I am in awe of the force of nature that produces it. Amazing.





Everywhere you look there are more beautiful mountains.


And then we come to my favorite spot of the whole trip. Muncho Lake. Silt laden glacial runoff is what creates the spectacular milky turquoise water, which is far nicer than these pictures depict.  I could live in this spot...of course the only thing here is a beautiful log hotel and RV park. 




I could live at Lake Muncho...of course the only thing here is a beautiful log hotel and RV park...which begs the question "why did I only take a picture of the sign"?



Not that it will ever happen again but if I were ever crazy enough to get married again, this would be the perfect honeymoon spot...absolutely spectacular. 


Once I tore myself away from these views we made our way to our final destination for the night; Liard Hot Springs, and boy are they hot.  I apologize but I don't have any pictures of the hot springs themselves as I didn't want to take my camera in.  Well that's a lie, I do have some, they are just on a waterproof disposable camera, that I haven't developed yet.  This is the nice log hotel that we stayed at directly across from the hot springs.


And just because I find is so amusing, these shots were all taken at midnight.









No comments:

Post a Comment