Monday, August 15, 2011

R&R at the Lake

There is nothing like a bit of R&R to start the vacation off right.

After leaving Toronto, Andre, Sonia and I headed up to visit friends at a cottage. This beautiful spot is on Big Rideau Lake in Ontario.  We used to own this property…


Fortunately our good friends still own the cottage next door so we get to enjoy a visit every now and then. 


 There is nothing like a boat ride on a warm afternoon. On such a large lake there is lots to see; including the Narrows Locks, part of the Rideau Canal system which runs from Ottawa to Kingston.  This section joins the Big Rideau to the Upper (or Little Rideau) Lakes.


I came “home” with a list of things I really wanted to see or do, mainly because they are just so darn much fun, but also because those are the things I miss the most living in the North. Of course seeing friends and family are at the top of that list…


…but I also came with a number of little things I wanted to do. This area of the country has a lot of history for me; my children grew up on this lake and as a result many of the memories I hold dear involve cottage living, so besides a boat ride, I also wanted to swim in the lake…


…skinny dip at night (definitely no pictures of that one!), Eat FRESH Vegetables, and celebrate my birthday with friends and family…



 …a campfire, complete with roasting marshmallows and wieners.



I had never heard of “Spider Dogs” but Sonia was kind enough to provide lessons…Of course the “First Born” had to create “Spider Dogs on steroids”.



Such a peaceful time and extra special with Sonia getting to sneak away with us for a couple days.

On the way in to Ottawa, we just had to pop in to Balderson’s for ice cream.  This is what Darlin’ Daughters look like when they don’t feel well…














1 comment:

  1. What a great time! Love the photos... the smiles... I swear I can hear the laughter :)

    And... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! It's today, right? You and Rosie both on the same day :)

    *hug* love you!

    ReplyDelete