Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back in the Beginning

Although I lived in other places growing up I really don't remember much before Merrickville.  It was fun visiting my old home town.  I lived here from five until seventeen when I headed off to the big city to broaden my horizons.  If Merrickville had been the cool little village it is now, back when I was there I would never have left.  Who knew it would become a thriving little destination spot with lots of resident artists, cool little shops, and of course the canal and blockhouse.

Here are a few pictures from the place I called home for most of my childhood.  Enjoy!


Merrickville is one of many small communities that came into existence at the time the Rideau Canal was built.  The block house and locks in the area are only a few of the many structures built by the stone mason's who worked on the canal. There are several beautiful stone homes, the Jake's block (an apartment complex and shops) and two beautifully restored hotels. 



My father worked in various positions on the canal over the years, so these locations hold special memories for me.


The photo above is of the Jake's Block and the corner section was the hang out spot for the local teens (no malls here).  Below, my sister is reminiscing her mischievous youth, when she spent many an evening in this same spot. Hmmm, I recall  grocery orders and bonfires!  I myself did not hang out here as I was "the good child" (aka nerd, who stayed home to sketch).



How is it that all the cool stuff came here after I left?  This weekend it was Canal Fest, but there is also an awesome Artist's tour that takes place every year. I wasn't kidding that I would never have left if I'd known it would turn out like this!




It was so nice to visit, I just  had to return...this time with my handsome son and my buddy Christine.




1 comment:

  1. So happy! :) I love the photos you take. Each one just oozes LIFE!

    ReplyDelete