Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fall Spectacular!

Not quite what it sounds like but boy the falls were spectacular.

Last weekend I made a trip to Hay River again to check out some of the nearby falls and the extraordinary canyon that winds through the whole area.  I am constantly blown away by the scenery of the Northwest Territories and I feel quite sure that I'm not alone in my misconceptions of the area. I was thoroughly convinced that it was flat, virtually treeless, and without anything that could remotely be considered beautiful...Boy was I wrong!


The first stop was Louise Falls where I was rewarded with a panoramic view of the valley far below.


After climbing down the spiral staircase, a dizzying adventure on its own, I hiked along the edge of the cliff where I was able to take a few great pictures.




Just a few kilometres down the highway was Alexandra falls, even bigger and more majestic than Louise Falls.  Hiking down the river trail was mind blowing.



I couldn't help but imagine someone canoeing along, having a bit of fun in these tiny little rapids only to discover (too late) that only a short distance away was this...


Wow! In the picture below I was standing just a few feet from the edge of this spectacular water falls.



After hiking along the short trails to view these two falls, I felt like a kid again and my old passion for hiking was firmly rekindled.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. Those are amazing photos, Cheryl! *stands back in awe*

    ReplyDelete